Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Indian Wells: Paradise In The Desert



The BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells has always held a special place in my heart. As a child, I remember watching the tournament, then known as the Pacific Life Open, and saying to my parents, “I am going to go there some day!” My intrigue for the tournament was not solely based on the world-class tennis that was exhibited during the two-week event. Moreover, the pristine facility, the gorgeous 360-degree mountain views, and the thrilling atmosphere are the features that fostered my love for Indian Wells. On March 10, my dream of attending the BNP Paribas Open became a reality. In this blog I will present my overall thoughts on attending tennis’ “5th Major” for the first time.

Venturing to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden midway through the afternoon Monday, I couldn’t help but notice the breathtaking scenery and tournament facilities. In addition to the mountain views, which provide a one-of-a-kind backdrop, the sheer magnitude of the Indian Wells Tennis Garden left me in amazement. Despite religiously attending the U.S. Open for the past six years, nothing could have prepared me for what I experienced at the BNP Paribas Open.

When entering the tournament gates, the first feature I acknowledged was the intimacy of the facility. Unlike any tournament I have attended previously, the BNP Paribas Open allows spectators to get up-close with the players. For example, making my way to the practice courts, I almost had a run in with the worlds No. 10 Frenchmen Jo-Wilfred Tsonga! A majority of the 20 practice courts provide courtside seating for fans to marvel in the ability of their favorite players. Furthermore, with the practice courts being side-by-side to one another, I was able to observe several of the worlds best at one time.

Making my way to the outer practice courts, I spotted the hard-hitting Belgian, Yanina Wickmayer on Practice Court 8. The world No. 56 was practicing her serve, which in my opinion should be more of a weapon given her height. While watching Wickmayer, I thought to myself, “Why hasn’t she left for Miami yet?” The Belgian fell in the second round to Czech player, Lucie Safarova three days prior.


Practicing beside Wickmayer on Practice Court 9 was the red-hot Romanian, Simona Halep. Halep has shown great form in recent months, making her first grand slam quarterfinal at the Australian Open, and winning the biggest title of her career in Doha last month. Since Halep made her breakthrough in 2010, I have been impressed with her game. Halep is a great mover, with solid groundstrokes and a decent serve given her diminutive build. Unfortunately, Halep’s practice session ended shortly after I arrived; however, the quality of the session is definitely indicative of her recent success on the WTA Tour.


As I was leaving the practice courts, I noticed two male tennis players enjoying a game of Frisbee on the field adjacent to Stadium 1. Despite being eliminated from the singles event, Americans Sam Querrey and Steve Johnson displayed their strong Frisbee skills for fans. Spectators who attend the event often see players warming up or playing a pick-up game of soccer on this field. Even though I was excited to see Querrey and Johnson, I was disappointed in the lack of players present on the field.


The event’s intimacy didn’t end at the practice courts. Next to the Tennis Channel Desk is the Stadium Plaza. The Stadium Plaza allows spectators to sit back and watch the matches on Stadiums 1-3. For those who were unable to watch the matches inside the stadium courts, the plaza is the perfect spot to enjoy the exciting atmosphere without missing a minute of the action.


Spectators who were on the grounds at the conclusion of the day session experienced quite a blockbuster. The fourth and final match of the day session on Stadium 1 was the hotly contested match between Rafael Nadal and Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov. Prior to the match, most fans, myself included, expected Nadal to win easily in straight sets. In their five previous meetings, Dolgopolov never managed to take a set off of Nadal. Much to the spectators’ surprise, the match that transpired was far from the expected result.

When Nadal dropped the opening set to Dolgopolov, the murmurs began amongst the spectators. Sitting in one of the dining areas just outside the brand new Stadium 2, I noticed spectators beginning to rush to the nearest television to watch the conclusion of what might be a potential upset. When Nadal forced a third and final set, the crowd both inside and outside of Stadium 1 let out a huge roar. What the fans didn’t realize was the best tennis of the match was yet to come.

Most lower-ranked players, when they are on the verge of an upset crumble under the pressure. Dolgopolov played inspired tennis, rushing out to a 5-2 lead in the decider. During the changeover, I asked myself, “Can he actually win this match?” Coming into the match, Dolgopolov had four top-10 victories, over Robin Soderling, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, and David Ferrer twice. However, after a shaky service game at 5-3, Nadal would level the match at 5-all. After relatively easy holds from both players, the match would reach its ultimate stage, a final set tiebreak. The heavily Nadal-favored crowd was at the edge of their seats, liking his chances of winning the match.

After exchanging service points, Nadal would go up 4-2 in the tiebreaker. The spectators sitting around me in the dining area could sense victory. However, Dolgopolov with an impressive inside-out forehand and two unreturned serves, the Ukrainian had his first lead of the tiebreaker 5-4. At 5-5, Nadal would miss a routine forehand approach shot, leaving the crowd stunned. Dolgopolov would step up the service line, with a chance to serve out the match. In that moment I said to myself, “He is going to hit an ace.” After a powerful first serve up the tee, what was originally called an ace was challenged by Nadal. Unaware of the challenge, the fans were already applauding the Ukrainian on the upset. Shockingly, the challenge revealed the serve was out by one millimeter! The crowd’s applause quickly became a collective laughter because of how close the call was. Following a slight grin, Dolgopolov was able to refocus and close out the match with another aggressive inside-out forehand. Even though I would have loved to be inside Stadium 1 to watch the match, the experience I had sitting with countless tennis-lovers is something that I will remember for the rest of my life.

After several hours of waiting, it was finally time to head inside Stadium 1 and watch some court-side action!  Walking into Stadium 1, my first impression was how large, yet intimate the stadium was. As the second-largest tennis stadium in the world, the 16,100 seat Stadium 1 doesn’t have a bad seat in the house. Similar to the U.S. Open, spectators are able to clearly see the ball, whether they are court-side, or in the last row of the grandstand.

The night session began with former world No. 1 Ana Ivanovic against talented American Sloane Stephens. Ivanovic and Stephens have played twice before, at the U.S. Open, with both meetings going in favor of the Serb. Entering the match, I liked Stephens chances of pulling off the upset. Despite struggling in the tournaments leading up to Indian Wells, Stephens played well in her first match in the desert, dispatching talented Croat Ajla Tomljanovic 6-4 6-0. Ivanovic, on the other hand, struggled in her opening match against Elina Svitolina of the Ukraine, having to fight hard to win in a third-set tiebreaker.   
         

Analyzing the playing styles of Ivanovic and Stephens, both players possess similar strengths and weaknesses. They have arguably the two biggest forehands in the game, as well as above average serves, which can get them out of trouble. Conversely, Ivanovic more so than Stephens, struggles on the backhand wing. Both players’ backhands are more of a rally shot than one that can produce winners.

Throughout the match, despite the close score line, Stephens was the better player. Even though Stephens failed to execute on several easy put away shots, the American constructed the points well, using her forehand to dictate play. Ivanovic looked unsettled throughout the match, which was the result of Stephens’s strong play. Even with the crowd strongly supporting the Serb; Ivanovic was never able to establish any sort of momentum. As a result, Stephens eliminated Ivanovic in 1 hour and 42 minutes, 7-6(3) 6-4.

Overall, my experience at the BNP Paribas Open far exceeded my expectations. The Indian Wells Tennis Garden offers tennis fans the first-class tennis of a grand slam, with the intimacy of a smaller professional tournament. The facility was the perfect place to enjoy the sport that I love. I strongly recommended that you attend this tournament at least once in your lifetime. The BNP Paribas Open definitely lives up to “The 5th Major” nickname.         

How do you feel about the BNP Paribas Open? In the future, should it become the 5th major? Let me know in the Comments Section.

In my next blog, I will discuss Roger Federer chances of winning additional titles.

Enjoyed this post? If you did, email it to a friend or share it on your social media page. I look forward to continue sharing my thoughts on tennis with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment